Alert but not alarmed
It is of incredible importance that we are aware of spiritual battles that go on everyday. This reality was in no way, shape or form meant to breed any fearful attitude or outlook, but to point us to God, His word and promises as a source of empowerment, equipping and strength.
Ephesians 6:10 challenges us to ‘be strong in the Lord and His mighty power.’ Yes there is a struggle that goes on in an unseen realm we are reminded that our strength and ultimate victory can and will be found in Jesus. His power and work on the cross are the foundations of the confident spirit we are to face our daily trials and challenges with.The Armour
God not only articulates the fact that we will find ourselves in a spiritual battle but provides for us every piece of spiritual armour required to stand firm, fight hard and win. A belt of truth, breastplate of righteousness, shoes of readiness, shield of faith, helmet of salvation and sword of the spirit all bound together by prevailing prayer are a total and devastating combination that the enemy cannot and will not breach if all are employed correctly.
Protection for the heart, soul, mind and character, the armour stands as a grace-delivered protection at the gates which the devil has been attempting to storm for generations.
We only need to make a decision to stand firm.Things to remember in battle…
Sample Discussion Questions
- Jesus is stronger. Greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world. Our God alone is all-powerful, all-knowing and ever present.
- Put on all your armour. The armour works most effectively when all elements are deliberately put on every day.
- We will stand in the end. God will not allow a skirmish to unfold more furious than we can handle. We can stand with our armour and know in the end we will stand.
- We need each other. So fight for and alongside one another in prayer constantly.
- How have you experienced your battle being against more than just flesh and blood?
- How challenging is it to be aware of this spiritual dimension in your everyday life i.e. work, school, home etc?
- Identify each of the pieces of armour God supplies and discuss what specifically each piece protects or does.
- Which section of armour do you find the enemy attacks you on most commonly and how can you practically counteract these attacks?
- Which section of armour do you easily overlook and not put on?
- How do we practically put on each piece of armour everyday? Exactly how can we ensure that we make the time and space to do this each day?
- In what area can you pray for God’s grace and spiritual protection in your life at the moment?