God’s intention is to have us living a life of significance wherever we are and in whatever is before us through expressing our gifts in His Kingdom…good works are why we were created…and God planned them long ago…part of His plan of bringing the Kingdom of God to planet earth and Melbourne and your street.
‘You Lord give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm and put their trust in you’- Isaiah 26v3 (Today’s English Version).
‘Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for Him is a waste of time or effort’- 1 Corinthians 15v58 (Message)
‘Each person is given something to do that shows who God is’ - 1 Corinthians 12v7 (Message)
All of us are here to make a contribution and not just consume. It doesn’t matter how long you live but how you live – what matters is not the duration but the donation we will make.
‘Take your everyday ordinary life – your sleeping, eating, going to work and walking around life – and place it before God as an offering’ -Romans 12v1 (Message)
In the gospels we see that most of the miracles performed by Jesus were actually interruptions - I wonder if these were Divine Interruption or intervention .
Read: Mark 10v46-51
• How did Jesus respond to these interruptions?
• How were lives impacted by Jesus allowing His plans to be changed?
• Why did Jesus allow these interruptions into His life?
John Wesley’s motto:
‘Do all the good you can by all the means you can by all the ways you can in all the places you can and at all the times you can to all the people you can’
Have you allowed any barriers to limit your availability such as self centeredness?
Reflect on times when you have had a ‘do not disturb’ sign in your life.
Read Philippians 2v4-8
Jesus said ‘your attitude must be like my Own, for I did not come to be served but to serve’ - Matthew 20v28 (LB)
• We are encouraged to have an attitude like Christ, what can we do practically to allow this to happen?
"Servant" in our English New Testament usually represents the Greek doulos (bond slave). Sometimes it means diakonos (deacon or minister). Doulos and diakonos are synonyms .
Both words mean a man who is not at his own disposal , but is his master purchased property . Bought to serve his master needs, to be at his beck and call every moment, the slave sole business is to do as he is told. Christian service therefore means, first and foremost, living out a relationship to your Saviour that includes serving.
God calls us all to action in our lives.
Read Romans 12:4-8
• What do you understand this passage to encourage us to do?
Read 1 Corinthians 12v5-7
• Have you encountered any adversity in allowing the gifts that God has placed with your life to be fully functioning?
• Is there anything hindering you from engaging in significance?
• What action can I take this week that will take me a step closer to a greater level of significance?